Animal Care Volunteers
Do you have an interest in working with animals or in an animal-related career? Then the Animal Care Team may be right for you! This volunteer program allows you to experience what it takes to care for the animals here at John Ball Zoo. From shoveling animal waste and cleaning animal viewing areas to preparing diets the animal care team is a wonderful opportunity for those who are passionate about caring for animals. Openings are limited by schedules and staff needs. Shifts are 2 hours minimum, and must be regular and consistent, i.e. every week at the same time.
To assist zookeepers (who currently care for approximately 2,000 animals at the Zoo) with many of their day-to-day duties and to continue to provide the highest standard of care for the Zoo's animals
- Prepare animal meals/diets
- Clean around animal viewing areas
- Haul feed and bedding materials; stock grain storage areas
- Clean behind the scenes and keeper work areas of the Zoo
- Assist our zookeepers in many different ways
- There will be no direct contact with any exhibit animal!
Individuals, 18 years of age or older, with an interest in animals, animal care, or animal related career - no experience necessary! Must be able to commit to the regular, consistent schedule for a minimum of 4 months. If you are in college and only able to volunteer on your summer break, we encourage you to look at our Animal Care Intern opportunities!
Requirements to be an Animal Care Volunteer
When can you be an Animal Care Volunteer
Animal Care volunteers are utilized 7 days a week! Even when the Zoo closes in the winter our animals are still here and still need food and clean up. A minimum commitment of, ideally, 6 months is preferred. See specific opportunity for day and time requirements.
There are currently no open Animal Care opportunities. As openings become available they will be posted on the first Friday of each month.
Applying for an Open Opportunity
1. Please make sure you have read the description and that you can commit to the shift available. If there are no current open opportunties we are not accepting applications.
2. Make sure you are able to meet the qualifications of the opportunity.
3. Identifying the specific opening you are interested in email Jen at firstname.lastname@example.org with your contact information.